Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sensory Bin Extension Activity

Minne-Mama is on Facebook! 'Like' us to stay updated on our fun crafts and activities!
Thank you for stopping by!

I didn't really plan on posting this incredibly simple extension activity for our St. Patrick's Day sensory bin since I just posted that yesterday, but Skyler had a lot of fun with it and I snapped a few pictures, so I decided to share it. The post I had planned for today had to be delayed because I have had stapler drama :) I bought one that wouldn't punch through my paper and I returned it and bought a heavy duty one, but it came with no staples, so the fun decoration (a mama craft, no little one involved!) will come at a later time. 

Simple matching games are a great way for toddlers to learn through play. Skyler loved the shape matching game that I made for him where he would sort the wooden disks onto his table with corresponding colored shapes. This idea for an extension off a sensory bin with many fillers was inspired by that activity. 

When I was putting together Skyler's sensory bin, I took a picture of each of the fillers included.




All I had to do was print a copy of the pictures. Then I cut a piece of contact paper about the size of Skyler's table and I placed the pictures down on the sticky side, so when I flipped it over and stuck it to the table the pictures were showing. 



Skyler really enjoyed this activity. His favorite ones to match were the gold coins and pom poms, though he did do a lot of the feathers as well. He didn't care as much for the smaller sequins.



Skyler placed the coin down hard and it sprung across the table which he found very funny!

Playing this match game provided us with a great opportunity to talk about the similarities and differences of the items in the bin: the colors, shapes, sizes, and textures. My favorite thing about this matching game is that it uses pictures of actual objects that he has real life experience with. It took a lot of effort for Skyler to look at the piece in his hand and find the corresponding pictures - it was a great way to spend our afternoon and play together!

No comments:

Post a Comment